I was really inspired last week by what I saw happening with one of our clients. And even more thrilled to be a part of it.
A company that has been doing catering for several years but is now putting serious structure, strategy and commitment behinds its growth is also seriously committed to its people and their development. That’s really what it’s all about – your people.
This organization has never had a meeting to engage all the Catering Sales professionals…until now. When planning this meeting, the initial thought was that interest would be marginal. Well let me tell you, Catering Sales professionals crave the opportunity to network, share ideas and learn new tactics. The number of attendees was almost triple the expected number!
And what an exciting day it was. There were so many new friendships and bonds made, so many great ideas soaring around the room, and sheer excitement to be the best team with the best result. The executive team presented amazing sessions that showed just how committed they are to catering, its success and its people. I was fortunate enough to get to teach our Catering Hot Target Workshop which sparked some great new ideas, allowed the team to share their success stories and best practices, and prepare them for targeted and strategic sales efforts once they returned home. One CSM shared that she had been in the position for 10 years and was so grateful for this event. She said she had never met anyone else in the company that does what she does. Priceless.
Gathering your teams – sales or otherwise – can have huge impact for many reasons:
- It allows people in like positions to network and meet others that understand their role, their passion, their struggles and their excitement
- It allows your team to share best practices and ideas, which is for the greater good of the whole organization. It allows you to work smarter, not harder
- It can foster some friendly competition amongst the team to be the best. If you haven’t noticed, sales people are just a tad bit competitive!
- It allows the team to continually learn new things to enhance and evolve their skills and results. Your worst enemy is status quo – especially in sales. It is so important to stay on top of your game, stay ahead of the competition and always be sharpening your knowledge and skills
- It makes your people feel like they are part of a team. Catering Sales professionals often feel like they work on an island by themselves. It’s a very autonomous position, where you work alone in the field, with few others in your market. These meetings allow the team to feel grounded, like an important part of a special team
- It makes your people feel valued and valuable. Investing in the development and growth of your people speaks volumes, and it is one of the very best investments you can make in your business. People are grateful for the investment you make in them; they are eager to learn more, be better at what they do, and be successful
Gather your teams quarterly, bi-annually, or via phone monthly – whatever works for you. These are great tools to re-group, focus, learn, share and set the next stage of success in motion. And as always, the MMS Catering Institute is here to support your efforts. Feel free to contact us directly for ideas or support we can offer.
Let’s Talk Catering!